TerraTrikes make great electric recumbent trikes. Here are a few how to tips for converting the Rover and Rambler models, specifically with internally geared hubs.
The TerraTrike Rover and the rambler models both are offered with internally geared hubs. It is possible to convert the trike to external gearing, but you will probably want the help of a bike shop that is familiar with recumbents. For a good bike shop, this will be an easy job, but it will require some specialized parts.
Because the trike does not have brackets for the idlers or the front derailleur, you’ll need to get them from TerraTrike or a bike shop that works with recumbents a lot. I think it’s a worthwhile conversion, and your bike shop shouldn’t have any trouble with it. Please contact us anytime if you have any questions!
You’ll need to do the following:
1. Remove old gear hub wheel, shifter, cabling, chain, and crank
2. Install new double or triple crank
3. Install front derailleur bracket
4. Install front derailleur, shifter, and cable
5. Install rear derailleur bracket
6. Install rear derailleur shifter, cable
7. Install external gear rear wheel
8. Install chain idler bracket and idler(s)
9. Measure for new chain
For a complete review on a TerraTrike Rambler converted with an E-BikeKit, visit Electric Bike Report
Visit TerraTrike for more information on TerraTrike recubent trikes.
Got something to say? Please join the discussion by leaving a comment below.